2017 NEC PDF or EBook

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
I have used the PDF version of the NEC for many years. Last cycle I got the redline version which was handy for me, as I am an instructor.

What is the Ebook, and what are the advantages of it>

jumper

I am clueless, just use PDFs myself.

NFPA has this, whatever it means:

Enhanced eBooks

NFPA is pleased to announce that many of our most popular documents are now available in an enhanced eBook format. This interactive technology brings our documents to life on iPads, iPhones, Androids, and most Web browsers.*

Enhanced eBooks make it easy to search and scroll through documents, highlight specific content, bookmark pages or sections, and enlarge image views. You can also add private user notes — or make them public to solicit feedback from colleagues and subject matter experts. One enhanced eBook purchase gives you access to that title on up to three devices. You can view your eBook offline on your mobile device using the free Inkling app or access your eBook online through a Web browser. Watch the video below to learn more.

http://www.nfpa.org/ebooks/?p=1

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
It sounds like the eBook format gives you back the ability to highlight and bookmark passages which they removed from the PDF version by locking it.

kwired

Electron manager
I have (and have had since near the release of 2014) the 2014 E book.

It gives you a lot of the functionality that the older CD ROM versions had. All places where another code section is mentioned is a link that you can click on and go to that section. Most instances where a word appears that is defined by NEC is bold faced, and you can click on that word and a pop up bubble gives you the definition. It also has links for pop up bubbles in places where there was a change from 2011 that tell you what was changed.

I found it easier to navigate then the PDF I had for 2011. The navigation pane breaks down to the 225.30 level and not just to Art 225, Art 230 level. Art 250 is a long section and is nice to break that one down further then just the title.

It is also an on line application, not limited to one PC or other device, you can log in with your user name and password from any device. Get a new computer or smart phone - just log in, no reinstalling or dealing with additional licenses for more then one device. There is special app for smartphones that is better tailored for the phone - but is a free app. The app is for Inkling, which is a third party that hosts other E books, not a specific app for NEC itself. Otherwise the base version is a web browser based application.

Not sure what changes may come with 2017, for the E-book or the PDF.

kwired

Electron manager
I think Teor was talking about changes from the 2014 to the 2017
Sorry, most of my description of the E book was response to Jumper's question in post 2.

I described what they had for 2014, outside of code itself I can not tell you if they made any changes for the 2017 E book or for the PDF for that matter.

rian0201

Im curious. Is pdf a type of ebook? I think is a generic term. Electronic book. It could be in any format, as long as it is softcopy.
If the file is secured, we cant edit it, which means, we cannot put highlights, comments, and others..

Sent from Mars

iwire

Staff member
Haha.. I know what pdf is. But is it an ebook? How about epub? That is why i said ebook is a generic term. It could be pdf or not, as long as it is electronic.

You might say, how about doc word?..well, for me, if it is a book, then it is an ebook, simple, electronic book. Thats it.

For me a pdf is a specific format of the NEC, it is not fancy, it is simply a pdf copy of the printed NEC. No more no less.

In some years they only offered electronic books that where not pdf, in my opinion they where clunky formats made to prevent copying and disturbing the NEC.

Personally I prefer a basic pdf format.

rian0201

For me a pdf is a specific format of the NEC, it is not fancy, it is simply a pdf copy of the printed NEC. No more no less.

In some years they only offered electronic books that where not pdf, in my opinion they where clunky formats made to prevent copying and disturbing the NEC.

Personally I prefer a basic pdf format.

I agree, but.. If it is simply printed copy highlighting text wouldnt be easy (considering the file is not secured).

If is a pdf file, you place comments, highlight texts add bookmarks and you could search the text within the file.

Logosi

Kind of a resurrection but still relevant.

I bought the 2017 NEC handbook in ebook form today. The tables are HORRIBLE to try to read/use. It is terrible on a PC and a Tablet. I basically flushed 185.00 down the toilet today.

Status
Not open for further replies.