2014 cycle: 406.4 (d)

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I don't understand the question. The two articles are unrelated, though both mention arc fault circuit interrupters. 210.12 says where they are needed. 406.4 says how to replace them. What are you looking for?

MannyBurgos

I don't understand the question. The two articles are unrelated, though both mention arc fault circuit interrupters. 210.12 says where they are needed. 406.4 says how to replace them. What are you looking for?

Exactly that Charlie. Its a discussion where a colleague stated that 210.12 does not apply to 406.4. Thank you.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I am not sure why this section causes so much trouble for many. At another forum there are members who think this only applies to replace of an existing afci circuit and not a replacement of a non afci receptacle or circuit.

406.4(D) applies but I don't see what 210.12 has to do with it. If the standard receptacle is not an afci circuit and it is required to be under the 2014 then an afci receptacle or afci breaker needs to be installed.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
In my opinion the two sections are very much related. The rule in 406.4(D) requires that when you replace a receptacle in a location that 210.12 now requires AFCI protection, then that replacement receptacle must have some type of AFCI protection.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
406.4(D) applies but I don't see what 210.12 has to do with it. If the standard receptacle is not an afci circuit and it is required to be under the 2014 then an afci receptacle or afci breaker needs to be installed.
I don't understand. If 210.12 does not have anything to do with it, how do you know that the replacement receptacle requires AFCI protection?

In my opinion the words "elsewhere in this code" in 406.4(D) are a reference to 210.12 and any other location in the NEC that requires AFCI protection.

MannyBurgos

I don't understand. If 210.12 does not have anything to do with it, how do you know that the replacement receptacle requires AFCI protection?

In my opinion the words "elsewhere in this code" in 406.4(D) are a reference to 210.12 and any other location in the NEC that requires AFCI protection.

This was the EXACT discussion. He said 210.12 had nothing to do with 406.4. As you have mentioned, you go to 210.12 to find out where you have to apply 406.4.

Status
Not open for further replies.