200amp service upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dylan883

Occupation
Industrial electrician
So most work I do is 3 phase and all industrial I do some residential have done upgrades before and this one is for my self and want to make sure everything is good few people I have talked with believe it's okay but would like other more experienced residential electricians thoughts. So upgrading to 200 amp service after meter going into a 200 amp whole house auto transfer switch it just has a 200 amp breaker so this is my first means of disconnect everything after will be 4 wire coming out it is also mounted exterior of house then going into house basement into splice box where polaris connector used to splice 4/0 to 4/0 so wire can continue through basement to underground to garage all in conduit and 200 amp panel with breaker in garage now back up to splice box also coming out of there to the house panel 10ft away no need for 200 amp in house it's all gas so would like 100amp the wire from splice box to 100amp panel would be 2 gauge that wire would never see 100 amps because of breaker in panel but my concern is it against code cause it's all feed from a 200amp breaker? Also out of 100amp panel will be a 50 panel to barn and no generator yet that's in future.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
2 AWG is not sufficient for a 100A feeder unless it meets the requirement of feeding the entire load of a residence.

In general a feeder rated for 100A needs to be protected on the supply end at 100A, unless you meet 'tap rules'. I wouldn't bother going there.

Paragraph breaks and specific questions make for better responses.

-Jon

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
If I’m reading it correctly, I’m like Tom, you are wanting to splice the 100 amp panel off the 200 amp feeder? That’s all and fine if you treat it as a tap, and have over current protection at that point. But since you already will have a 200 amp feed, and your feeding a 50 out to the barn from that panel, why not upgrade it to 200 amp also? Sure, you may presently not have the load that needs it, but it would help future proof it down the road.

Dylan883

Occupation
Industrial electrician
Sorry I thought when I checked chart 2awg was for 100 amp I'll recheck. Main reason for not wanting 200 amp panel in house is the fight of the wire not the best basement to be working in. Also most electric house has is ac and well pump and the barn is just lights and maybe couple heat lamps. But if I need too I'll put 200 amp in house also

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Allow me:

"So most work I do is 3 phase and all industrial. I do some residential have done upgrades before and this one is for my self and want to make sure everything is good. few people I have talked with believe it's okay but would like other more experienced residential electricians thoughts.

"So upgrading to 200 amp service; after meter going into a 200 amp whole house auto transfer switch. it just has a 200 amp breaker so this is my first means of disconnect. everything after will be 4 wire coming out it. is also mounted exterior of house then going into house basement into splice box...

"... where polaris connector used to splice 4/0 to 4/0 so wire can continue through basement to underground to garage all in conduit and 200 amp panel with breaker in garage. now back up to splice box also coming out of there to the house panel 10ft away no need for 200 amp in house.

"it's all gas so would like 100amp the wire from splice box to 100amp panel would be 2 gauge that wire would never see 100 amps because of breaker in panel but my concern is it against code cause it's all feed from a 200amp breaker? Also out of 100amp panel will be a 50 panel to barn and no generator yet that's in future."

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
A 100A splice off a 200A feeder is a feeder tap. You need to follow the10, 25, or unlimited length feeder tap rules depending on the situation. This will dictate minimum wire size and wiring methods. The destination panel for the tap must have a main breaker. Feeder taps are usually an industrial thing and not residential, but they are not prohibited in residential. #2 is fine for 100A if copper. #2 Al is good for 90A or could do 100A if feeding an entire dwelling.

Russs57

Occupation
Maintenance Engineer
If you have a 200 amp panel in the garage, and it sounds like you do, why don't you put a 100 amp breaker in it and feed the house panel from it?

Dylan883

Occupation
Industrial electrician
Thank you for information I have not done feeder tap in residential before so I'll be sure to read up on it more before doing so. But reason I don't just run a 100 amp breaker out off 200 amp panel in garage is cause power runs through the house didn't make sense to run through house to garage to go back to house so thought tap was better idea. Would be a lot more wire and conduit.

Dylan883

Occupation
Industrial electrician
After reading looks like I fall under 10 foot rule and should be fine to do this tap guess I should have just went to the book in first place

Status
Not open for further replies.