200 va CPT transformer-480V 1-phase in, 347V wye out.

Occupation
Plant Electrician
Hi, as you can see I'm messing with Canadian voltages. I know there's a Canadian forum, however I was just wondering if there is such a transformer. I'm a quality inspector and the contractor wants to check light fixtures before installing. They're 347V LED's so I wouldn't need a large transformer, just for a few seconds of testing.
The fixtures are not multiple voltage; i.e. 100V - 380V etc.
Any ideas? Buck/Boost? I've looked on line and don't see much.
Thank you and
Respectfully

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
A transformer cannot be used to create 3-phase from 1-phase.

You should be able to get a transformer from 120V up to 347V, but it likely won't be a Buck-Boost configuration. You might want to look at 'machine tool' style control power transformers.

Carultch

Hi, as you can see I'm messing with Canadian voltages. I know there's a Canadian forum, however I was just wondering if there is such a transformer. I'm a quality inspector and the contractor wants to check light fixtures before installing. They're 347V LED's so I wouldn't need a large transformer, just for a few seconds of testing.
The fixtures are not multiple voltage; i.e. 100V - 380V etc.
Any ideas? Buck/Boost? I've looked on line and don't see much.
Thank you and
Respectfully
277V:347V is the same ratio as 480V:600V. Transformers can work just as well at a reduced voltage from their original intended voltage. So if you have 277V available, you can use a 480V:600V transformer with the 480V side connected to 277V. This just means they operate much farther away from core saturation.

Not sure what supply voltage you have available. It would be helpful to know what you are trying to step to 347V.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
As @jim dungar says, you can't get 3 phase from single phase. But what you can do is convert your 480V single phase to 347V single phase, and ground one terminal of the single phase output to get '1 leg of a wye system', which i think is what you actually need for this testing.

Here is a transformer which will work, but is oversized:

As @Carultch asks, do you have 277V available? (Is your 480V from a 480/277V wye system? ) If so, then a 480:120V transformer connected in boost configuration and supplied with 277V is probably your cheapest option.

Something like this, wired in boost configuration and supplied with 277V will give you about 1.5kVA at 347V

Jonathan