200 Amp panel with 2 100 amp main breakers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ledBetter

I'm assuming this service panel is 200 Amps, with 2 100 Amp main breakers. Effectively making it a eligible for 40 Amps of solar backfeed, under the current configuration. However, when I removed the dead plate the label was not there. I have attached a picture. What do ya'll think? Am I right to assume this is 200/200 configuration?

thanks.

Attachments

• IMAG0459.jpg
    IMAG0459.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 3

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
That would be my guess but without seeing the wire size it is only a guess. It should be a 200 amp service though

Buck Parrish

I have bought a 125 amp with 4 blanks that look just like that. So as Dennis said, were guessing.
If it was 200 amp rated it would likely have came with a 200 amp ( 4 space) breaker in it. Just my thoughts

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
I'm assuming this service panel is 200 Amps, with 2 100 Amp main breakers. Effectively making it a eligible for 40 Amps of solar backfeed, under the current configuration. However, when I removed the dead plate the label was not there. I have attached a picture. What do ya'll think? Am I right to assume this is 200/200 configuration?

thanks.

That looks like a 100A service to me. If it is 240V split phase with a 100A breaker on each phase, it's most likely a 100A service and your PV is limited to 20A.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
There's really no telling the panel rating by looking at it. I've seen 100, 125, 150, and 200A panels that look like that. I've also seen a 300A panel that was similarly configured (breakers on top of each other instead of side by side).

The one thing we can say with relative certainty is that you can backfeed that panel more than 40; it would be a supply side connection. You can backfeed as much as the service is rated for, which in this case could probably be judged by the service conductors as Dennis suggested. I've also had a couple cases involving missing labels in tract developments where the AHJ had us look around at neighboring houses that clearly had all been built with the same equipment.

Of course, as has also been mentioned, you'll need to do some other work to have a place to land those breakers, or get lucky with whatever panelboards those breakers are feeding.

Status
Not open for further replies.