20' aluminum light pole what size Sono tube

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
Yes, but they're 1/3 in the ground in relatively snug-fitting holes, not tamped earth.
They don't put that much of them in the ground here. That would be a 13 foot deep hole for a 40 foot pole, and only 27 of it would be above grade.

Guy wires are partially for the sake of the base, but also are for lateral strain relief on pole itself from conductor load.

kwired

Electron manager
Exactly right.
So you are saying most the distribution poles where you are (which typically are at least going to have ~ 30 above grade are planted 13 feet deep? I can't tell you exactly how deep they are around here, but I'd bet few are any deeper than 8 -10 feet with majority of those being closer to 8 instead of 10. Even in the sand areas.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
So you are saying most the distribution poles where you are (which typically are at least going to have ~ 30 above grade are planted 13 feet deep?
That's what my friend the EE who is well versed in power distribution systems tells me.

kwired

Electron manager
That's what my friend the EE who is well versed in power distribution systems tells me.
Maybe you have different combination of expected wind speeds, soil conditions, etc than we do that justifies this. I don't think most the POCO trucks around here even have digger auger that will go that deep. Not saying they can't install a longer one or some kind of extension but what is typically mounted on the trucks won't go that deep as is. I've watched them set a lot of poles over the years.

Now maybe if they are setting even taller transmission poles they might go deeper, but I don't see that up close or for that matter that often period.

Status
Not open for further replies.