20/2 AFCI in 3 phase application

Status
Not open for further replies.

growler

There is no three phase panels in the Homeline series, it is however common to see multi-tenant units that have a 208/120 source divided into 208/120 single phase three wire feeds to each tenant and use single phase panels in each tenant space. You still have the 120 degree phase angle between the two ungrounded conductors. Ungrounded to neutral (120 volt loads) will still see 180 degrees between the two circuit conductors as this is truly a single phase section of the supply system and is reason a single pole AFCI wouldn't see any difference no matter which system it is supplied by.

Homeline and QO both are rated for 240 maximum, which 208 falls within the range. Only exceptions would be things like an AFCI that may have issues like mentioned in this thread. Standard thermal magnetic breakers will work fine on 208 volts.

We use larger frame breakers rated for 600 volts all the time for 208, 240, and 480 volts applications, they don't care what the voltage is as long as we keep it under maximum rating.

I understand what you are saying but after this problem come up I'm starting to wonder if this panel is allowed for 208y-120V. I know the regular breakers should work and you would think the arc fault single pole should work.

What I question is the rating of the panel. If you look at the panel all you will see is that it's rated for 240-120V.

Would it be Ok to attach a sticker that says the operating voltage is actually 208-120V?

I know that an electrician would measure the voltage but someone ordering and appliance may not.

growler

What I question is the rating of the panel. If you look at the panel all you will see is that it's rated for 240-120V.

Would it be Ok to attach a sticker that says the operating voltage is actually 208-120V?

I have been able to answer part of my question from earlier threads on this question.

Single phase 240-120 panels are allowed for 208-120 single phase use.

As to the marking the code does seem to indicate that the operating voltage should be marked.

The panels in question in this application are actually old GE panels, probably older than me. They happen to be HOM-compatible. Homeline breakers, I learned while researching this issue, are typically compatible with 208Y/120V and of course 120/240V. I used a Homeline panel in a commercial application once (not 3 phase), after noticing that the box is marked "Residential-Commercial-Remodel". I don't see how it would be an issue using Homeline panels in a commercial application, as long as you don't need a 3 phase panel. That doesn't work for obvious reasons. They don't make one. The determining factor is whether the breaker is rated for 3 phase operation. Also, obviously we need not be installing 3 pole breakers in a single phase panel :lol:
The single pole Type HOM CAFCI breaker is listed for both 120/240V as well as 208Y/120V (well 120V derived from single phase and 120V derived from 3 phase).

growler

I used a Homeline panel in a commercial application once (not 3 phase), after noticing that the box is marked "Residential-Commercial-Remodel".

For a manufacturer to state that a panel is rated for commercial would really mean a lot. Commercial is the intended use of a structure and has nothing to do with the supply voltage. I have worked on small commercial jobs that were only 240-120V single phase. Once zoned for commercial use you have the exit signs and emergency lights but it's commercial and still wouldn't need arc fault breakers ( even though it used to be residential).

You can work in a high rise building that's residential.

I have seen panels that were marked ( magic marker) as being 208V on the door. It think I would at least do that.

growler

I don't see how it would be an issue using Homeline panels in a commercial application, as long as you don't need a 3 phase panel. That doesn't work for obvious reasons. They don't make one.

It not the commercial use that bothers me it the fact that the voltage marking would be wrong.

You would think the manufacturers would furnish a sticker or something to indicate a different operating voltage.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
The panels in question in this application are actually old GE panels, probably older than me. . .

The GE single pole combination type AFCI breaker is compatible with use on one of the hot legs of a multiwire branch circuit, without changing the other breaker(s). According to GEs instructions, you may, or may not, run the multiwire neutral through the AFCI breaker. . . either way is correct to their instructions.

There is also the matter of using a handle tie to provide the required "common disconnecting means."

Status
Not open for further replies.