2-wire receptacles and AFCI/GFCI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Postonbones

Occupation
Electronic Repair Tech III/Electrician
In an old panel has no main disconnect but the homeowner wants to upgrade from a 60 amp to 100 amp. The utility company requires a disconnect at the meter socket; making the panel a sub panel. But the wiring is old two wire most receptacles have grounds and some DIY NM wiring added in recent years. Making the old panel a junction box and upgrading the panel seems like a good option. Will the old two wire hold on the new AFCI/GFCI breakers without the option of re-wiring the branch circuits? Any advice/ thoughts would be appreciated

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
You should not have an issue with that and unless you extend those circuits more than 6' then you don't need afci. Look at the exception

210.12(D) Branch Circuit Extensions or Modifications — Dwelling
Units and Dormitory Units. In any of the areas specified in
210.12(A) or (B), where branch-circuit wiring is modified,
replaced, or extended, the branch circuit shall be protected by
one of the following:
(1) A listed combination-type AFCI located at the origin of
the branch circuit
(2) A listed outlet branch-circuit-type AFCI located at the first
receptacle outlet of the existing branch circuit
Exception: AFCI protection shall not be required where the extension of
the existing conductors is not more than 1.8 m (6 ft) and does not
include any additional outlets or devices.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
I wired a kitchen remodel last year, and the entire house swapped devices. Went from 2-prong to 3-prong everywhere.

In the kitchen was all new wiring, with plugmold under cabinets.

I put in dual function breakers on every circuit.

Eaton BR panel. No issues at all

Lioneye

Occupation
Commercial Electrician
I wired a kitchen remodel last year, and the entire house swapped devices. Went from 2-prong to 3-prong everywhere.

In the kitchen was all new wiring, with plugmold under cabinets.

I put in dual function breakers on every circuit.

Eaton BR panel. No issues at all
2-prong to 3-prong? Hopefully you did not connect the EGC term to the neut at the device, as per, and labeled the receipts as “no equipment ground”...NEC 406.4(D)(2)(b) and/or (c)

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
..unless you extend those circuits more than 6' then you don't need afci.
Dennis, in North Carolina are you allowed to replace 2-prong w/ 3-prong plugs without complying with replacement code: 406.4(D).

If so, is that also the case in New Hampshire?

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
..Will the old two wire hold on the new AFCI/GFCI breakers without the option of re-wiring the branch circuits?
If you're looking for a way to force a complete re-wire on existing 2-wire structures, there is another tool used for that.

sparky1118

Occupation
Master Electrician
In an old panel has no main disconnect but the homeowner wants to upgrade from a 60 amp to 100 amp. The utility company requires a disconnect at the meter socket; making the panel a sub panel. But the wiring is old two wire most receptacles have grounds and some DIY NM wiring added in recent years. Making the old panel a junction box and upgrading the panel seems like a good option. Will the old two wire hold on the new AFCI/GFCI breakers without the option of re-wiring the branch circuits? Any advice/ thoughts would be appreciated
Just curious why are you relocating the panel?

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
Oh you’re one of those guys. Ok. That’s while I usually don’t reply here. Yoo-Hoos like you. In reality, I get to see the work of hundreds of electricians (and non-electricians). Most are good. Most.
then let me ask you this Lioneye

the way manufacturers market DF's , one would think they are the 'fix' for any older wiring

your opinion sir!?

~RJ~

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Oh you’re one of those guys. Ok. That’s while I usually don’t reply here. Yoo-Hoos like you. In reality, I get to see the work of hundreds of electricians (and non-electricians). Most are good. Most.
Didn’t say I did it, (bootleg grounds) I said there is a tester that detects it. You said you were an inspector, and if I was one, I would have the tester instead of having to pull every receptacle to check. Are you saying you have no problem with bootleg grounds?

Status
Not open for further replies.