2 questions concerning grounding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is the grounded conductor of 4-wire feeder insulated? Is it to distinguish the grounded conductor from the GEC?

I have a contractor that wants me to do a job for a guy that just requires replacing the meter socket and se cable into the panel. My question is: Will I also need to replace the grounding electrode conductor and ground rods? And I'm assuming that this installation will need inspected. Service is 100 amps.

Jim.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Re: 2 questions concerning grounding.

Jim, I don't understand why you would be using a (4) conductor cable for this. Is this a three phase service? If it is a single phase service you would only need three conductors.

You say a contractor is asking you to do this, is this a licensed electrical contractor? If so he should be able to coach you through this installation.

If you are doing this work on your own, you list yourself as a student and should not attempt this without supervision.

I don't mean to sound negative towards you, but this seems to be over your knowledge at this point in your career.

Roger

Roger, first let me apologize for not clarifying my post.

I just replaced my existing 100 amp service with a 200 amp installation. I had to move the inside location of my panel and in order to meet the disconnect location requirement (panel had to be moved about 10 ft) I installed a meter socket/disconnect combination unit on the outside of my house. This required the use of 4-wire FEEDER from the main disco on the ouside of the house to my 200 amp panel (now considered a sub) that also has a 200 amp breaker in it. From there I'm feeding my old main panel (still in its original location) and it also is considered a sub now. I did it in this way so I can move all of the circuits from the old panel to the new one at my leisure...and quite frankly because I didn't have the time to do all of that work on one weekend.

I performed all work in accordance with code and as per my inspectors advice and recommendations and by the way...it passed inspection.

The question concerning the SE cable for the contractor was a seperate question and had nothing to do with 3 phase conductors or the above explanation.

Again, I aplogize for a poorly written initial post.

dereckbc

Staff member

Why is the grounded conductor of 4-wire feeder insulated?
The grounded conductor can only be bonded to ground in one location only at the disconnect device. By insulating it will prevent any further contact to ground.

Is it to distinguish the grounded conductor from the GEC?
NO

Will I also need to replace the grounding electrode conductor and ground rods?

Ground rods no. GEC maybe. The GEC size depends on the SE conductor size. It is selected from 250.66. A # 6 AWG copper GEC is required for copper SE conductors #1 AWG to 1/0. A # 4 AWG copper GEC is required for copper SE conductors 2/0 or 3/0

Status
Not open for further replies.