#16awg Outdoor Rated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cainta

I am having trouble finding outdoor rated #16AWG single conductor for control. My distributor says they don't make XHHW in #16AWG and the NEC doesn't show it either. Is there an equivalent that could be used in an outdoor industrial application?

It would be run in RMC. The electricians want to use #16AWG MTW/TFFN but I don't know if this is acceptable.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
cainta said:
I am having trouble finding outdoor rated #16AWG single conductor for control. My distributor says they don't make XHHW in #16AWG and the NEC doesn't show it either. Is there an equivalent that could be used in an outdoor industrial application?

It would be run in RMC. The electricians want to use #16AWG MTW/TFFN but I don't know if this is acceptable.

I generally use #16 TFFN in applications that would other wise use THHN.

http://www.alanwire.com/awscripts/makspecs.cgi?ntype=TFFN

TFFN and TFN copper conductors are annealed stranded (TFFN) or solid (TFN) copper. The conductors are insulated with a tough, heat and moisture resistant polyvinyl chloride (PVC), over which a nylon (polymide) jacket is applied.

It appears it is mositure-resistant, so it ought to be Ok in a damp but not wet area.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The following is from the UL Guide Information on machine tool wire.
This category covers machine-tool wire and cable, which is all-thermoplastic Type MTW 600 V wire and cable for use as specified in ANSI/NFPA 70, "National Electrical Code," and NFPA 79, "Electrical Standard for Industrial Machinery." The finished wire or cable is flame retardant and suitable for use at 90?C (194?F) and lower temperatures in dry locations, and at 60?C (140?F) and lower temperatures where exposed to moisture, oil or coolants, that is, to cutting oils and the like.

Status
Not open for further replies.