14-2-2 & 12-2-2 Uses

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Can 14-2-2 and 12-2-2 NM-B be used for 240 circuits? I normally see this type of cable used with 120 volt AFCI circuits but was wondering if any restrictions are applied to re-identfying the white and white-red to ungrounded conductors.

fmtjfw

Can 14-2-2 and 12-2-2 NM-B be used for 240 circuits? I normally see this type of cable used with 120 volt AFCI circuits but was wondering if any restrictions are applied to re-identfying the white and white-red to ungrounded conductors.

NEC is a permissive code, blah, blah, blah. Nothing I know forbids it.

kwired

Electron manager
I would like to think even a three phase, one neutral MWBC would be acceptable to run with such a cable, but it may be too confusing for handymen, homeowners, or weekend warriors and is not the right thing to do. :roll:

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
I would like to think even a three phase, one neutral MWBC would be acceptable to run with such a cable, but it may be too confusing for handymen, homeowners, or weekend warriors and is not the right thing to do. :roll:

:lol: I could see that throwing people off.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
BTW, I apologize this isnt in the correct section. I meant to put in the general forum or NEC forum but it wound up here. Sorry:ashamed1:

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
I use it quite often for example;
exhaust fan/light/night light combos. sl/sl/sl/n
and when I wish to bring a neutral or additional constant hot along with the travelers from one 3way switch location to another.
Or like you said for separate circuits for AFCI uses.
So yes I reidentify when needed.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
14/2/2 is basically 2- runs of 14/2 in one cable. So yes they could be used as 2- 240V circuits or 2- 120v circuits or even 1- 120V and 1-240V circuits. Of course you would have to tape the neutrals another color if they are 240V

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
14/2/2 is basically 2- runs of 14/2 in one cable. So yes they could be used as 2- 240V circuits or 2- 120v circuits or even 1- 120V and 1-240V circuits. Of course you would have to tape the neutrals another color if they are 240V

Thanks! :)

And Im correct to assume no handle ties since these are indeed seprate circuits?

kwired

Electron manager
Thanks! :)

And Im correct to assume no handle ties since these are indeed seprate circuits?

The handle ties rules apply to the use of the conductors, not the grouping of the conductors. You can think of the cable as though it were a raceway containing the conductors.

How about we just say that is the rule for now? Who knows someday they will want handle ties for everything in a raceway, again to protect the non electrical professionals that think they know what they are doing.:roll:

fmtjfw

How about we just say that is the rule for now? Who knows someday they will want handle ties for everything in a raceway, again to protect the non electrical professionals that think they know what they are doing.:roll:

I think in the near future you will have to call the power company to come out and disconnect the service at the tranformer primary, ground out the primary leads of the transformer, then you can change the light bulb (edison or any other base) and then have them come back and re-establish service. Boy that will help the market for long-life bulbs.:p

kwired

Electron manager
I think in the near future you will have to call the power company to come out and disconnect the service at the tranformer primary, ground out the primary leads of the transformer, then you can change the light bulb (edison or any other base) and then have them come back and re-establish service. Boy that will help the market for long-life bulbs.:p
You will still have non qualified people that risk doing it hot:happyyes:

And of course for a pretty cheap price.

Status
Not open for further replies.