12v Transformer to 12v Rechargeable Battery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gar

Occupation
EE
190819-0909 EDT

CCinPA:

There is no information on your background.

Two factors:

1. What is your definition of a transformer? If a standard AC transformer, then the answer is no.

2. Batteries are roughly constant voltage DC loads, thus, they must be charged from a current limiting DC source. With proper design that DC source can be supplied from an AC source. That could be a 12 V AC RMS output transformer with appropriate electronics between the transformer and the battery.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
190819-0909 EDT

CCinPA:

There is no information on your background.

Two factors:

1. What is your definition of a transformer? If a standard AC transformer, then the answer is no.

2. Batteries are roughly constant voltage DC loads, thus, they must be charged from a current limiting DC source. With proper design that DC source can be supplied from an AC source. That could be a 12 V AC RMS output transformer with appropriate electronics between the transformer and the battery.

Don't forget it takes about 14 volts to charge a 12 volt battery.

gar

Occupation
EE
190819-1168 EDT

With a 12 V transformer I have 17 V peak available. Thus, with a single diode, and current limiting resistor I can charge a 12 V battery. This needs to be turned off or reduced to a low charge rate after the battery is charged.

Besoeker3

Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
190819-1168 EDT

With a 12 V transformer I have 17 V peak available. Thus, with a single diode, and current limiting resistor I can charge a 12 V battery. This needs to be turned off or reduced to a low charge rate after the battery is charged.

If it is low power you could possibly have a variable resistor/rheostat as your current limiting resistor.
A variac on the input to the 12V transformer is another possible solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.