125 Amp Basement Subpanel with generator backup - Design comments invited

Status
Not open for further replies.

John F C

New User
Occupation
Big Box Retail - Avid DIYer
I am finishing my basement and am dropping a 125 Amp subpanel off of my 150 Amp main panel.

I have been stalking the forums here (and other places) and have incorporated some good suggestions into my design. I'm looking for feedback before I start buying things.

The main panel is attached to the outside of the house. I plan on using a 125 Amp breaker in the main panel to feed the subpanel. I will pull the feeds from the bottom of the main panel through 3" schedule 80 conduit for approximately 3' and then penetrate into the overhead of the basement. Total length of the feeder run is < 45'

The feeds will run in the basement overhead/first floor joists until they connect to the sub panel. I am planning on running 1/0 1/0 1/0 2AWG (Ground) SER feeder.

I am not planning on running the feeder in conduit inside the basement.

The subpanel I am planning on installing is a Siemens PN Series 125 Amp 30-Space 48-Circuit Main Lug Plug-On Neutral Load Center Indoor with Copper Bus. I will remove the bonding wire from the new subpanel. As currently designed I will be using about 35% of the existing spaces in the panel. My existing main panel is essentially full.

The size of the basement is 1,000 square feet and will contain a furnace room, bedroom, bathroom, small workshop and "great room". There is nothing exotic in the bathroom (shower, toilet, sink). Heating for the entire space will be provided by the existing gas-fired HVAC.

All of the loads in the furnace room are serviced by the existing panel. The only additions I am making there from the new subpanel are two LED strip lights.

A total of 40 ceiling-mounted LED lights divided across several circuits will provide lighting for the space.

The workshop will contain three outlet circuits. 1 always-on 15 Amp, 1 always-on 20 Amp, and one switched 20 Amp. The loads in the workshop are relatively modest - a DeWalt compound chop saw, a drill press, possibly a table saw and possibly a grinder. No more than one tool will be operated at a time. The workshop is designed to convert to an office for a future owner.

15 Amp circuits are limited to 8 outlets per circuit. 20 Amp circuits are limited to 10 outlets per circuit.

The bathroom has a dedicated 20 Amp circuit that services the outlets, fan and lights.

All breakers will be 15 or 20 Amp Siemens dual function circuit breakers. (Required here for basements).

Additionally there is a generator/UPS setup. Paired Honda eu2200i generators fed by city natural gas.

The automatic transfer switch (ATS) is an APC UTS6H. The ATS supports six protected circuits. The feed from the generator will be brought to the ATS. One of the six protected circuits will feed through the new basement panel. The other five will be back-hauled from the ATS to the existing main panel.

The new basement subpanel and ATS will be installed on a plywood backboard attached to an existing stud wall. They will located side-by-side behind a 36" wide door in a new "false wall" that I will be installing in front of the existing wall in order to hide steel support beams.

Sorry for the lengthy post, I am trying to anticipate questions and also providing links in case anybody else wants/needs to do something similar.

Thanks!

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum Rules.
This site is designed for:
  • Contractors
  • Electricians
  • Engineers
  • Inspectors
  • Instructors
  • Other electrically related individuals
* This NEC Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries. Questions of a "How-To" nature by persons not involved in the electrical industry will be removed without notice.
Reminder to all members, if you see a questionable post, feel free to report it by clicking "Report" at the bottom left corner of the post.

Status
Not open for further replies.