120v -w/no load, 0v w/load.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Buying a locator and fault finder was one of the best investments my old boss ever made. Once word got out that we could locate and repair underground we would get calls to repair everything from power to a whole building to yard lights.

It became an annual rite of spring to repair feeds to irrigation pivots. I think the most I ever patched was four breaks in one feed, but not all on the same trip. That was when it became clear that a megger was an essential part of the process.
The great thing about the 573A is once you find the first break, take the machine and set it up at the break. Check the line from the break both ways. I’ve found one or two weak spots that were potential breaks and fixed them before they had a chance to blow out causing another outage.

I’m partial though.
I’ve only used one other type years ago. Once I used the old 573A from a phone guy, we bought one at my utility and used it for 30+ years. it was almost 3K in 1988.

Mine off eBay with the A frame was $250, shipping extra..

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Buying a locator and fault finder was one of the best investments my old boss ever made. Once word got out that we could locate and repair underground we would get calls to repair everything from power to a whole building to yard lights.

It became an annual rite of spring to repair feeds to irrigation pivots. I think the most I ever patched was four breaks in one feed, but not all on the same trip. That was when it became clear that a megger was an essential part of the process.
Got a standard fee for just locating? Seems it would have to make you money not just save the customer money. Particularly given the cost of the equipment.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
So is this MSC rate higher than other service call minimum charge, to warrent the savings to the customer, and still allow the recoupment of the testing equipment costs. Seen most of these into the thousand+ range.
Not for me. I didn't expect to recoup the expense in a year. I rarely did locates only. Almost all included repairs of four hours or more. Plus material.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
So is this MSC rate higher than other service call minimum charge, to warrent the savings to the customer, and still allow the recoupment of the testing equipment costs. Seen most of these into the thousand+ range.
Well if you tell your first customer it's gonna cost two thousand dollars for me to come out to your place and nine hundred dollars an hour to figure out what to do next you're prolly not gonna get many follow up calls.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Wait..
You want you payback period to be one service call?

How many times would you use something like this?
If it’s a lot, buy new. If not, buy used like I did.

Once word gets out you can pinpoint and repair, calls will multiply. Other electricians will also refer customers to you.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Wait..
You want you payback period to be one service call?
No but want to recoup the cost beyond just my service call. Usually only apply a service call rate, if call plus repair is less than 4 hr.
How many times would you use something like this?
If it’s a lot, buy new. If not, buy used like I did.
Haven't had a lot but have been getting more recently.
Once word gets out you can pinpoint and repair, calls will multiply. Other electricians will also refer customers to you.
Then I have to get a backhoe too. As it is just laying all new, just rent a trencher for a day.

Occupation
EC - retired
Uc c
No but want to recoup the cost beyond just my service call. Usually only apply a service call rate, if call plus repair is less than 4 hr.

Haven't had a lot but have been getting more recently.

Then I have to get a backhoe too. As it is just laying all new, just rent a trencher for a day.
We rent mini excavator when needed, but we usually have a quarter section to move around on.

kwired

Electron manager
If you are going to do regular excavating is handy to have a locator. First you have ability to locate the private lines that the one call centers do not locate. Second even the lines marked by the one call center won't indicate depth and some won't tell you depth either, that puts liability on them should they be off I guess? But you can hook on and at least get an idea whether you are looking at something 12 inches deep or 6 feet deep and decide how to deal with it from there.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Any experience with the tempo greenlee PE2003-G Pulser Ground Fault Locator? Will it work well enough for the money?

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
I thought I had posted pictures of this style. It is what I have used for decades. Depth calculation is rough. Fault location is 1/2 inch if you take the time.
So that is what you actually are using?
I was kind of hesitant because while not the very cheapest, it cost so much less than others of this type. So wasn't sure of the quality. But if this is what you are using then your accuracy is impressive for even a higher priced item.

Occupation
EC - retired
I thought I had posted pictures of this style. It is what I have used for decades. Depth calculation is rough. Fault location is 1/2 inch if you take the time.

So that is what you actually are using?
I was kind of hesitant because while not the very cheapest, it cost so much less than others of this type. So wasn't sure of the quality. But if this is what you are using then your accuracy is impressive for even a higher priced item.
I believe these have been rebranded with different labels. Mine is an ideal 62-135 cable locator with a 62-142 Ground Fault Finder.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Just an update on what I found.

PSX_20220523_174301.jpg PSX_20220523_174546.jpg PSX_20220523_174647.jpg
Found with a Greenlee thumper and A frame, and a locator. Was personally amazed at how close it got me to the actual fault location. That wire looks to have gotten damaged during a previous excavation by someone putting in the drainage line that is under the wire. Nothing really left of the aluminum wire. There was a slight tick farther up the cable indicating other possible damage to the conductors. There is some damage to the other conductor in this hole too, but not total failure. Looks like it got hooked by an excavator bucket tooth.
Never seen corrosion this extensive. The opening of the insulation is original, dirt immediately adjacent was full of the corrosion matter.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Just an update on what I found.

View attachment 2560721 View attachment 2560722 View attachment 2560723
Found with a Greenlee thumper and A frame, and a locator. Was personally amazed at how close it got me to the actual fault location. That wire looks to have gotten damaged during a previous excavation by someone putting in the drainage line that is under the wire. Nothing really left of the aluminum wire. There was a slight tick farther up the cable indicating other possible damage to the conductors. There is some damage to the other conductor in this hole too, but not total failure. Looks like it got hooked by an excavator bucket tooth.
Never seen corrosion this extensive. The opening of the insulation is original, dirt immediately adjacent was full of the corrosion matter.
The dirt around it was warm I bet…
We see that quite often.
We just splice it with Ilsco connectors and go on…

Status
Not open for further replies.