120 v change to 12 v yard light

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevenfyeager

Occupation
electrical contractor
Can you use a 120v light fixture for 12 v low voltage? Wanting to use existing 120 v yard light and use landscape wire with a 12 v transformer. A retailer tells me that is ok. Thanks

SceneryDriver

Occupation
Electrical and Automation Designer
The store says they have 12v bulbs that screw into a 120v medium base socket. Have you done this conversion ? Thanks

Is the 12V lamp incandescent or LED? If incandescent, it will either pull 10 times as much current for a given wattage, or be commensurately dimmer. If you are intent on using the lamp at the same wattage, can the installed wiring and transformer handle the increase in current?

If LED, much of what I just said is moot. LEDs are much more efficient.

A few more thoughts:
1) This seems like an idea that will confuse the next person to work on the system, and really annoy them. (Just because you can doesn't mean you should)
2) Clearly label the socket if you do the conversion.
3) Consider the ability (or not) for the end user to source a replacement lamp; 12V lamps with medium bases are not that common.
3a) Many 12V lamps are meant to be operated from 12VDC. Landscape transformers output 12VAC. This may let the smoke out of LED lamps; incandescent lamps won't care.
4) If it's simply to control the light with the landscape lighting, why can't you simply wire the landscape transformer and the existing socket to the same line-voltage timer?

SceneryDriver

Stevenfyeager

Occupation
electrical contractor
thanks, the problem is, to run new wires to these two post lights would take a lot of labor, trenching, tunneling under a big sidewalk, etc. Low voltage wire would be much cheaper for the customer, I think I can not have to tunnel under the sidewalk, etc. So if I can just use a landscape transformer (one already there not in use, that would be great) But as you said, those are AC. Hmmm. Still thinking... Thank you

kwired

Electron manager
So your main intent here is to replace existing wiring supplying these lights? and you are seeing you can possibly use more relaxed rules if you use low voltage system?

12 volt lamps with Edison base were common in RV's long ago and are not something new. But they will draw 10 times the current as a 120 volt equivalent draws.

Stevenfyeager

Occupation
electrical contractor
So your main intent here is to replace existing wiring supplying these lights? and you are seeing you can possibly use more relaxed rules if you use low voltage system?

12 volt lamps with Edison base were common in RV's long ago and are not something new. But they will draw 10 times the current as a 120 volt equivalent draws.
So the existing light might say max 60 watt at 120v , thats about 1/2 amp. But if I buy the 25 watt 12 v bulb from the store, that would draw about 2 amps, is that what you are saying ? So, that light fixture may not handle the 2 amps?

Knuckle Dragger

Master Electrician Electrical Contractor 01752
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I want to say that they are just giving you a heads-up if you plan on installing multiple incandescent high wattage light bulbs that the amperage will escalate quickly with each bulb.
example : 100 watts at 12 volts is just over 8 amps.

Besoeker3

Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Can you use a 120v light fixture for 12 v low voltage? Wanting to use existing 120 v yard light and use landscape wire with a 12 v transformer. A retailer tells me that is ok. Thanks
Why do you want to do that?

Status
Not open for further replies.