12, 16 OR 29KVA?

Tim Butler

New User
Occupation
Tutor
Please accept my apologies for my lack of an electrical qualification.
I am a tutor and I am currently setting up a ceramics workshop and training facility here in Ireland.
I have asked the following question on numerous occasions but I have yet to receive a straight answer. Perhaps someone on here can help?
Due to the cost of installing 3 phase power to my workshop (€38,000+) I have purchased 3 single phase Ceramics kilns. These are rated 39 amps each.
I will probably never run all 3 at the same time but I will certainly run 2 as class numbers increase. My household supply is 12 KVA (240V) so I do not want to connect to the house in case of interruption to the 12 hour firing cycles of the kilns.
I applied to ESB networks (service provider) for a new connection and I have a choice of 3. These being 12KVA 16KVA or 29KVA. (€3500, €4600 and €6000 respectively). 29KVA is normally associated with my neighbouring farmers who run milking parlours, scrapers, welders etc. I will need a new transformer installed if I opt for the higher KVA (according to the provider)
Naturally, the cost is a concern but not so much that I want to skimp at this stage of the process. I may also look at converting an old stone out building to accommodation in the future (if I live long enough, I suppose anything is possible)
Any suggestions or should I just opt for the biggest supply available?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
At (39 x 240) 9.36Kva each, you can not run two kilns on the lower two at all, so you need the 29Kva supply.

ruxton.stanislaw

Occupation
Laboratory Engineer
This is the time to upgrade and plan for the future. Down for the road, it could cost significantly more and take some convincing for them to put a larger transformer.