115volt switches

Status
Not open for further replies.

escape

I was wondering if there was a distance that a wall switch has to be from an indoor hydromassage tub? I know that The code says it can not be located in a wet location, but what is the wet location? does the wet location start from the edge of the tub? I think as for safety that it shouldn't be with-in reach from the tub.

bphgravity

Re: 115volt switches

I consider the tub or shower space as being measured form the outer most edge. I then imagine a vertical line from that point up any adjacent walls to the ceiling. A switch should not be installed within that line. When in doubt, I would request the opinion of the AHJ.

I am not sure it would be practical limiting all switches, or receptacles for that matter to a distance greatrer than "within-reach". I'm not completely convinced of the hazard with using a switch while in a wet location or while being wet. :)

rcarroll

Re: 115volt switches

There is no distance by code. I agree with Bryan on the perameters of the wet location. Art. 404.4 does allow a switch in the wet location if it is part of listed tub or shower assembly.

Status
Not open for further replies.