100V from hot to ground-20V from N to G

Status
Not open for further replies.

owenc

After noticing that the ground light on my surge protector in the upstairs bedroom was not lit, I started checking with a multimeter. I get 120V from hot to neutral, about 100 from hot to ground, and about 20 from netral to ground. Also with the breaker (15 amp) off, I get no continuity between neutral and ground??? Maybe it just can't be measured properly due to stray voltage? All connections on ground bus are tight. Also, both upstairs rooms have the same issue. I found that this is because the 2 separate breakers share a ground wire and neutral wire of a 4 wire romex with the two hot wires going to the separate breakers.
I have changed both ceiling fans to no avail. I have checked most of the wiring on both circuits and no problems noticed. I unplugged the hot water heater thinking it might be leaking voltage to the ground on the water pipe, but no effect.
I have already had one computer fried probably due to this and I am out of ideas. Someone please help!
P.S. the house is in Ft worth TX and is 14 years old if that helps.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Re: 100V from hot to ground-20V from N to G

you may have an open neutral at your panelboard.

best bet is to hire someone qualified to come and fix it.

iwire

Staff member

I second Bob's above post and would only add the sooner the better. Wait and you may start losing appliances due to over voltage.

owenc

This is probably a dumb question but what is an open neutral? Does it mean that a neutral wire is not connected? If thats the case how do I still have 120V between hot and neutral?

[ July 15, 2005, 03:30 PM: Message edited by: owenc ]

iwire

Staff member

I get the feeling you are not in the electrical trade and the rules of this forum prohibit us from giving specific info to DIYs.

Something is wrong and it should be fixed, please get a qualified person out to look at your electrical service from the utility connection to the branch circuit in question.

* This NEC? Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries.
Questions of a "How-To" nature by persons not involved in the electrical industry will be removed without notice.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

The problem is that we would feel really bad if we gave you advice that led to your demise because you are not qualified to implement that advice in a safe way.

charlie

I agree with the above posts. If you disagree, please send me a PM. I am locking this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.