100A continues mean in 125 A rated panels?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Designer101

Occupation
Solar and ESS Designer
what does 125 A Meter Socket rating and 100 A Continuous mean, I am not from electrical back ground, I am from mechanical back ground.
I have argument with electrician today that the panels are rated 125 A AND WE SHOULD BE OKAY WITH 50 AMPS backfeed as the breaker are rated 100A, but the word 100A Continues makes him think the other way.
can somebody elaborate please

Attachments

• Crousehinds2.png
    Crousehinds2.png
    599.9 KB · Views: 21

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The meter is capable of 125 amps and can feed a 125 amp panel as long as the loads are not continuous. Continuous means 3 hrs or more. If all the loads are continuous then the max you can use is 100 amps.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
In my opinion you are correct that you can backfeed a 50A breaker (40A inverter output, which is continuous).

The meter socket rating is not your limiting factor. As far as the meter socket rating is concerned, you could backfeed 100A since it is rated for that continuous current. But that has nothing to do with the backfeed rules that apply to the panelboard busbar.

Unfortunately that label does not clearly state the rating of the panelboard busbar, but it's implied that it is 125A since that is a option for configuration.

Understand that the meter socket and panelboard are separate components within the enclosure that are treated differently by the code.

Designer101

Occupation
Solar and ESS Designer
Another logic I can say that the bus bar is rated 125 A, Because there is a wording in the sticker "to convert from 100 A TO 125A main, Order wire kit Catalogue number..." if the panel board were not rated 125A then Why WOULD THEY ALLOW UPSIZE THE Main BREAKER TO 125A.
if there is 100A Rated meter lugs though then we can still connect 100A solar through supply side connection right. so connecting 40A continuous current source should not be the problem. Thank you for your response., i wanted to know the second opinion and i think i can convince the electrician now.

Status
Not open for further replies.