1000 amp commerical building

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have not a clue need all of the help thats out there, commercial is not my strongest point and either I do it or pass. Not to sure about passing its a family thing, stuck on this one like stink on poop. Please advise should I attempt a never attempted job, or pass it up. If I had proper instruction that could change things either way all input will be of help and welcome/

Got my masters in 1979 a year of little or no code let my license
laps and retired to a different field moved to WY, lots of family did some jobs residential and all just trying to help one thing led to another now I Just got Mike Holts Masters electrical exam Preperation in hopes to expand my sleeping Masters brain but in the mean time have been working as an electrician. Now I'm stuck with a 1000 amp comm building and need help...........Things have changed big time....

---phoenixthewolf Wy-----

---------

[ February 25, 2006, 09:54 AM: Message edited by: phoenixthewolf ]

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Re: 1000 amp commerical building

in the mean time have been working as an electrician.
As a one time Master and as a currently employed electrician we are permitted by the forum rules to help you. However, you'll need to help us by asking specific questions regarding your installation.

Trevor

bdarnell

Occupation
Retired Engineer

Why not pass on this one and cut your commercial teeth on something a little smaller ? If you are dealing with a building that has 1000 amp service, you could be into ground fault protection and lots of tricky issues.

No offense intended and we applaud your desire to get back into the trade, just don't bite off more than you can chew on your first job.

celtic

Originally posted by phoenixthewolf:
Have not a clue need all of the help thats out there, commercial is not my strongest point and either I do it or pass.
The help you are going to need will to be compensated for.

We can only offer advice/opinion - not engineer, supervise or run this job for you.

I would suggest hiring help or passing...did "family" think this would be a freebie?

peteo

One way to approach this, might be for the client to hire a PE. Somewhat like hiring an architect, then it would be a 'design-bid-build' rather than a 'design-build' project. You can look at the plans, decide what's within your scope, and then simply plan and execute your work. Perhaps you don't realize what a pleasure it is.
Retired supervisors I know, are the most postive about a clear set of materials, conduit sizes, etc., long before starting the actual work. Trust me you won't feel so good if you buy the wrong breakers and then they hire someone to finish things. And there's an easy way out ;)

peter d

From what you describe, the only thing you should be thinking is "Pass." It's far to easy to get way in over your head.

We all have our limitations and we need to know them before we take on a job. Sometimes we just have to say no.

macmikeman

You once had a Master's license. You can read. You can re-learn. Unless you do not want to spend the extra time and effort to do so. If you are as motivated as you were back when you first started out in the trade, you will not let anything hold you back. On the other hand, if you are nice and comfortable with staying right where you are at, then no help from this forum will be enough to get you to accomplish what you already have in you, which is the ability to do this job. Start with the search feature of this site. There have been many posts about larger services which most likely will be of great benifit to you, if you bother to take the time to read them. The search button works well for most other area's you will need to update on also. The search button is the reason I do not post many questions, because usually if I take the time to search, the answer's are already right there for me. If you cannot find a specific answer to a question you have, go ahead and post. It will generate a bunch of reply's, take it from me, some things get 15 pages of microscopic dissection. Courage. Good luck.

Thanks To All for your comments and suggestions, the feed back is great. I will endeavor to listen to all, I'm not going to pass but as suggested get a PE to asses the job and lay it out. Its not a freebie so the cost will fall in the new owners lap The layout will be in Ink not much room for error. Thanks once more for the feedback it has been very helpful

[ February 27, 2006, 08:37 AM: Message edited by: phoenixthewolf ]

Status
Not open for further replies.