100 amp panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

four

Have a customer that wants to install 100 amp panel in attached garage in house. Has 200 amp disco in garage and panel is located in basement. It would be pain to run feeder from basement to garage so i was planning to double lug meter (Milbank had double lug kit)and run 3 wire se cable straight to panel in garage(meter right on other side of garage wall)my question revolves around the GEC.I was thinking i would have to tap GEC going from 100 amp panel to 200 amp disconnect. But ive been told otherwise."grounded conductor is already connected to GEC in first panel their is no need to connect another)but i believe t250-66 note 1 says differently. Any help is appreciated

hornetd

Occupation
Journeyman Electrician, Retired
Re: 100 amp panel

You are correct! You run a tap from the grounded conductor of the new panel to the GEC that runs from the existing panel to ground. You have to use a saddle clamp or a split bolt connector to terminate the tap GEC to the main GEC in order to avoid any break in the continuity of the main GEC. The tap GEC can be sized by the size of the conductors that supply the 100 amp panel as long as the main GEC is sized by the size of the service entry conductors that run between the drip loops and the meter's line terminals.
--
Tom

charlie

If you have one service in the garage and are installing another one in the basement, how do you group the disconnects? It also seems like you are running a long way from the point closest the entry into the building. :eek:

hornetd

Occupation
Journeyman Electrician, Retired

Originally posted by four:
Have a customer that wants to install 100 amp panel in attached garage in house. Has 200 amp disco in garage and panel is located in basement. ...
Originally posted by charlie:
If you have one service in the garage and are installing another one in the basement, how do you group the disconnects? It also seems like you are running a long way from the point closest the entry into the building. :eek:
He did say that he has a 200 ampere disconnect in the garage so by placing the new one hundred ampere panel, and therefore it's main breaker, immediately adjacent to the disconnect they are grouped.
--
Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.