1 Ph Load - 3 Ph Delta

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlmarcel

I'm heading out to a job in the a.m to install a heater. I've only been in the building once before (replaced a coil for a starter), and I'm fairly certain the the service 120/240 4 wire delta. I was given the specs on the heater from the customer as 240v 1ph unit. Now, am I correct to believe (if this is in fact a high leg delta), that with a 2 pole breaker on any combination of phases I will get 240v? Sorry if this is too simple of a question, but these types of services aren't very common around here, so I do not have much experience with them.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Yes. Phase to phase voltages voltages are all 240.
But the breaker and the thermostat and heater cannot be slash rated 120/240 if the high leg is used.

Tapatalk...

kwired

Electron manager
Thermostat and heater are more likely to be just 240 volt rated, but to get a breaker rated for 240 only is not the usual 2 pole breakers you are used to seeing and the price will likely be much higher, maybe even high enough that you may as well just buy a 3 pole as it may be same or less, and will be rated straight 240 and not 120/240. Or avoid using the high leg and go with the much cheaper 120/240 2 pole breaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.