1 Electrical license for 2 businesses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Idiotstarfish

Occupation
Residential Electrician
Hey guys. I'm trying to start a business in North Georgia, and my father offered for me to use his electrical license. But our lawyer (who admitted to never have dealt with electrician business) said you can only have 1 business under each electrical license. But I hear there are many who have multiple businesses under their license. So, what's the truth? Can we use his license for the new business?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I don't think so.. Even if you had one business with 2 locations you would need a certified person at each location. Not sure about Georgia but that would be my guess

Idiotstarfish

Occupation
Residential Electrician
I don't think so.. Even if you had one business with 2 locations you would need a certified person at each location. Not sure about Georgia but that would be my guess
Legally, as long as you can contact the licensee it's kosher. They just have to be a phonecall away.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
Idiotstarfish your profile states your a residential electrician.
If you have 4 years experience in the electrical field I believe you can take the test yourself.
Georgia has a class of electrical license that is restricted to 200A or less and single phase that you would likely qualify for:

If you dont have 4 years of experience, I would not go out on your own.
Your dad's company could file your business name as a "doing business as" or "fictitious name" and umbrella you as a division of that company.
You essentially are one company operating under two names.
You would want to have a operating agreement made up by the lawyer.

Later when you get your license, you could split off keeping the name of your company.

The answer to your original question is no.
A person holding an license or certificate must actually be engaged in the practice of the business on a full-time basis, which effectively means you dad can't work for two companies with one license.
HTH
Cheers

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Most states do not allow a qualifier to qualify more than one company. Florida does with board permission but I don't know of any others. You need to research the laws and rules for Georgia regarding qualifying agents.

Status
Not open for further replies.