0-10V LED dimmer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
I have an existing dimmable fluorescent fixture that used three wire for the dimmer Hot lead, Neutral lead and dimmer lead.

I need to update to LED retrofits but seems like the 0-10V dimmers use (four) wire control. Hot lead, Neutral lead, dimmer positive lead and negative lead.

Any 0-10V dimmers that you know of that will work with my existing 3 conductor set up?

Thank you

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I have an existing dimmable fluorescent fixture that used three wire for the dimmer Hot lead, Neutral lead and dimmer lead.

I need to update to LED retrofits but seems like the 0-10V dimmers use (four) wire control. Hot lead, Neutral lead, dimmer positive lead and negative lead.

Any 0-10V dimmers that you know of that will work with my existing 3 conductor set up?

Thank you
All the ones I have seen need 2 control conductors and 120v constant feed

synchro

Occupation
EE
The GRX-TVI unit from Lutron at the link below will convert the output of phase-controlled dimmers to a 2-wire 0-10V signal. See pages 6 to 11 for wiring diagrams with various dimmers.

https://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocumentLibrary/grx-tvi.pdf

It might not be practical or cost effective to have a GRX-TVI at each fixture if there are many of them. But you could have one GRX-TVI and connect it to all fixtures with 2-wire 0-10V cables distributed above the ceiling, for example.

There's also this dimming adapter which was described in a post recently, I think from someone who's associated with the company that makes and/or distributes it.
I don't know anything more about it.

https://www.ledsmagazine.com/direct...ures-eliminates-control-cable-wiring-in-walls

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
The GRX-TVI unit from Lutron at the link below will convert the output of phase-controlled dimmers to a 2-wire 0-10V signal. See pages 6 to 11 for wiring diagrams with various dimmers.

https://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocumentLibrary/grx-tvi.pdf

It might not be practical or cost effective to have a GRX-TVI at each fixture if there are many of them. But you could have one GRX-TVI and connect it to all fixtures with 2-wire 0-10V cables distributed above the ceiling, for example.

There's also this dimming adapter which was described in a post recently, I think from someone who's associated with the company that makes and/or distributes it.
I don't know anything more about it.

https://www.ledsmagazine.com/direct...ures-eliminates-control-cable-wiring-in-walls
Thank you. I will look into these.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
All the ones I have seen need 2 control conductors and 120v constant feed
Can the two control conductors be low voltage cable (say a two conductor thermostat cable) Or I need to use 4 conductor MC cable or similar?

Last edited:

Flicker Index

Occupation
Lights

Thank you
Three wire is analog, but it is like PWM and it uses phase angle as control signal, which is unaffected by resistance. So Lutron 3wire type control does well over distance, as does 0-10v that works like automotive controls that uses % on vs % off ratio vs the analog voltage. The "dimmed hot" was used for signaling the ballast, so the load was not carried on it.

gar

Occupation
EE
211027-1032 EDT

edward:

In your first post you failed to mention that the fixture had a built in 0-10 V dimmer, thus you were s0 to 10 Vtuck with that limitation.

Now that we known that, then if you feed no external signal or device to control voltage input, then what happens if you leave that 0-10 V input open? If full brightness occurs, then can you apply a phase controlled AC input to the light, and get effective dimming control? If so, then see how your present dimmer works with the fixture. It may be necessary to change the present AC dimmer to one that requires, or can make use of a neutral connection.

Flicker Index

Occupation
Lights
gar,
LED luminaires marketed for commercial and industrial installations that have dimming capability have sort of standardized on 0-10v, as well as dimming fluorescent ballasts.

LED elements do not have the endurance of super T8 GSFL so some luminaires incorporate long term LED degradation compensation such as nLight N80. High wattage LED luminaires that have to handle high ambient generally already have burnout protection which activates dimming function to prevent the elements or the LED ballast from frying out. So, adding dimming is just a matter of adding connection interface. This is why it is so common.

Status
Not open for further replies.