0-10V control of LED dimming drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

olc

A dimmer with 0-10VDC control of dimming:
1. Would the dimming wires (grey and violet) (running with the circuit wires) just daisy chain form driver to driver along the circuit?
2. Do I need to worry about distance? (or is the control amps so low that it is not a factor?)

iwire

Staff member
A dimmer with 0-10VDC control of dimming:
1. Would the dimming wires (grey and violet) (running with the circuit wires) just daisy chain form driver to driver along the circuit?
2. Do I need to worry about distance? (or is the control amps so low that it is not a factor?)

You may not be able to run the power and control together at all.

Yes you daisy chain the control together just like a branch circuit.

I have used 18 AWG up to 2000' feet without a problem.

olc

Correct me if I am wrong - The wires can be run together if the control has the same insulation.
Is 18 usually used (I would have thought 14)?
Would you run them in the same conduit out to the fixtures?

iwire

Staff member
Correct me if I am wrong - The wires can be run together if the control has the same insulation.

Having the same insulation rating is only part of it.

If they are class 2 circuits you cant run them with the power circuits regardless of the insulation value.

I have run a separate Belden cable to do this type of job.

olc

The 0-10V would come from (for example) a Leviton Renoir dimmer. It is starting in the same box. going to the same fixture backbox.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~

you can get MC cable with the 0-10 volt wiring inside it with the power conductors, so yes,
that will work.

most folks just daisy chain a belden cable between fixtures, as it's cheaper.

in addition, if you wish to control fixtures on different circuits with the same control wire,
it can get complicated if the 0-10 is combined in the same raceway.

lutron eco controls that are separate from their drivers have a digital bus, and a 0-10
volt output to drive the fixture. all of the wires have the same color, and if you cross them,
it will be a sub optimal experience for you. i've seen this a fair bit recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.